Applications are closed for fall 2022 admission. Applications for fall 2023 will open in September 2022.
Questions about the graduate program may be directed to Gwen Bradford, Director of Graduate Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org or Humanities Graduate Admissions: email@example.com.
Strengths of the Ph.D. Program
The graduate program educates students to pursue research and teach in the main areas of department concentration: Moral Philosophy, and Philosophy of Mind and Related Areas
Degree requirements for the Ph.D.:
- Candidate must complete with high standing 42 hours of course work approved by the department
- Demonstrate competence in logic
- Pass a qualifying examination
- Perform satisfactorily on an oral defense of their thesis proposal
- Complete a written thesis on a subject approved by the department (at least one year of thesis research must be spent in residence)
- Perform satisfactorily on a final oral examination
Rice University aspires to excellence in research and teaching, and to making the world a better place. To accomplish these goals, we believe that we must cultivate a diverse community of learning and discovery. The Philosophy Department strongly encourages applications from women and members of other groups underrepresented in philosophy.
For information on the Philosophy Department's workshop on diversity ("Why So Few"), visit wsf.rice.edu, and for information on Rice University's diversity commitment for graduate students, visit https://diversity.rice.edu/.