H. Tristram Engelhardt, Jr.
Professor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy - MS 14
6100 South Main Street
Houston, Texas 77005-1892
Education: Professor, Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, 1969. M.D., Tulane University, 1972; Professor Emeritus, Baylor College of Medicine
Fields: History and Philosophy of Medicine, Continental Philosophy.
- Mind-Body: A Categorial Relation (Nijhoff, 1973).
- Bioethics and Secular Humanism (Trinity, 1991).
- The Foundations of Bioethics (Oxford, 1986; rev. ed. 1996).
- The Foundations of Christian Bioethics (Taylor & Francis, 2000)
- Global Bioethics: The Collapse of Consensus (edited volume) (Scrivener, 2006)
Current Research: Explanatory models in medicine, the development of modern concepts of health and disease, rights and responsibilities in health care.
- Phil 314: Philosophy of Medicine
- Phil 315: Ethics, Medicine and Public Policy
- Phil 521: Seminar in Kant and Hegel
- Phil 523: Seminar in Kant
- Phil 524: Seminar in Hegel